Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Desired Distraction



Terrible news has a way of creeping up on you. When I called to catch up with a friend she had news and not the kind I was expecting. Our friend is a heroin addict. He’s 20.

My heart sunk deep into my chest; the pain he must have felt to turn to something like heroin, I can empathize. What has me so shaken is quite simple and scares me more than anything. This can happen to anyone and no one saw it coming.

There is a pain so deep you’d do anything to end. Lying on the ground, sobbing, you barely make a sound. You want to feel safe; you want it all to just be okay. Helplessness washes over you, making you feel weak and alone, which in turn makes you feel scared.

Worse than the pain is the inability to end it, make it stop. Progressively getting worse, you get to a point where you feel crippled by life, as life it’s self causes the pain.

So many nights and days were spent dealing with pain. So many pills popped, joints smoked and knives dragged through layers of flesh in hopes of finding a distraction. It’s not that I ever wanted to die; I was just too tired to keep living.

I first fell in love with sex when I realized it was the only time I wasn’t in pain. Closing my eyes and letting waves of pleasure rush over me; sex was and still is like meditation. Everything bad in life falls to the side, nothing matters except the physical pleasure in that moment.

For me sex is not about love it’s an escape. It requires no thought and has no meaning when it’s done and over. People seem to think there is deeper meaning to the pleasure derived through sex; as a society we are consumed with finding deeper meanings and refuse to just let things be.

No longer in pain, I still see sex as just that, sex. The world is constantly shown in a picture perfect way, a set of ideals that my life is unable to live up to. The ideals others push onto society; inadequacy seeping through and everyday trying to keep up with what ‘they’ say is right.

We live in a world that promotes compliance, not questions. Ignorance really is bliss, but I was never one to be ignorant. Once you open yourself up to understanding, you can never go back.

Sex is still an escape and distraction from the world. That pain that overwhelmed me on so many occasions is gone as I no longer worry about fitting the cookie-cutter mold that is our societies expectations. I can only hope my friend can find strength to look beyond what people tell us to see and figure out what everything means for him.   
 

7 comments:

  1. I lost my friend Steve to a heroin overdose last year. It's so hard to imagine someone turning to it, but pain overwhelms you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your friend. We live in a world that makes us feel intense things, not everyone knows how to handle it. If I were older when I was going through my pain, I probably would have used drugs. Luckily for me I didn't have that option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh could this Drivel ever end. Seriously "Chloe" how about something REAL for once

    ReplyDelete
  4. @nycthespian I'm hugely cynical but I'm also getting tired of your BS. Stop reading if it concerns you enough to comment.

    And speaking of REAL, this is REAL. Do you know how many people are affected by drug addiction and self-harm? Maybe you should think of a REAL honest and justified comment before annoying everyone with your idiocy

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It’s not that I ever wanted to die; I was just too tired to keep living."
    Christ. How often I have been faced with this statement

    ReplyDelete
  6. @MAC I wish blogs had a 'like' button. Thanks for your support love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all need it sometime x

    ReplyDelete