Friday, November 26, 2010

Two Hearts Beating: Together?



After reading, The Decline of Men by noted author, journalist and entrepreneur, Guy Garcia, I took a long sip of my wine and let it sink in. Feminism was never about becoming greater than men, it was about becoming their equal; somewhere along the line, the rise of female success had led men to feel inadequate.

I could not help but feel a twinge of depression, did this mean that I would never find my partner in crime? Was all hope of finding my equal now lost? The only thing I could do was track Mr. Garcia down and find out; was all hope lost, or would men eventually be able to find a new sense of self?

His answer? A little from column 'A' and a little from column 'B'.


Chloe: As a male journalist specializing in socio-economic market research, what is the most notable shift you’ve witnessed, since the start of your career in the early 80’s, in terms of female attitude and behavior?    

Guy Garcia: Female attitude and behavior has become more complex as women continue to rise as a gender. Their options in education, work and social life continue to expand, which has made their lives more fulfilling but also more complicated. As men’s social and employment options shrink, women are more and more likely to be a co-income contributor, or increasingly, the main breadwinner. As women become better educated and financially independent, the pool of men that they respect or deem worthy of being with will continue to shrink.


C: As per your novel, The Decline of Men, women have a better success rate when it comes to our modern day social structures (ironic as I believe it was men who created these norms). Do you feel that young men are doomed to be less successful than their female counterparts? Or is it the late 30 and 40 year old's of today who will fall victim to the societal changes of women? 

GG: First of all, The Decline of Men is non-fiction business/sociology. It’s true that women are better suited for the 21st century economy, which favors communication and people skills that give women an innate edge over men. In 2010, women outnumbered men in the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Also, with women making up more than 60% of all college students in America, it’s only a matter of time before women pull ahead of men in terms of overall earning power. It is indeed ironic that the socio-economic structures that men built—and the very machines that make their muscles irrelevant and obsolete—no longer favor the male gender. The traditional definition of males and why they matter is obsolete and as a society we are still groping for what will replace it.


C: Men like the idea of me, but most don’t really like me. As a young, modern woman, my bold sexual presence excites men at first, but tends to leave them feeling disappointed later. Do you see men and women ever hitting equilibrium? Why does society tend to put us against each other?

GG: Society still tells men that they should be dominant, strong, decisive, etc.  In the workplace and public life, women were in a supportive role, although the female rule of domestic life had its own power. Now women are competing with men for jobs and socio-political clout, yet men have not replaced women as the domestic decider, which includes most household purchases.  Nowadays it’s little girls who are told they should grow up to be fearless, strong, smart, financially independent; as a gender they are in ascent, even as males stall or decline. Men will always be physically attracted to females, but their role in the relationship is no longer so clear. Some guys are ok in the supportive role, other are not. Some women are ok with men that are tame and submissive, but women of all ages complain to me that they can’t find “real guys.”  Guys used to use money and power to lure and impress women, now they use Axe and shave their bodies.  Leveraging physical attractiveness to balance power with the opposite sex is a strategy that men have learned from women.  A lot of young guys aren’t sure they can afford to pick up the dinner tab, let alone support a wife and family. As a result, the gratification of immediate pleasure replaces the rewards of long-term commitment.


C: From an early age the discussion of career and family seems to play a role in the conversations of young girls. Will society reach a point where both men and women will have the ‘choice’ to stay home with the kids or work, and why?

GG: Men are staying home now, but it’s not to raise the kids, it’s because they lost their jobs. In Sweden, the government is mandating maternity leave—paternity leave?—for men.  As women take on more demanding jobs we’ll see more gender-neutral flexibility in the workforce, but the percentage of guys who willingly take on roles previously delegated to women is still very small.  For now many women find themselves doing the work of both genders: holding down a job – and still making dinner, cleaning the house and making sure the kids have clean clothes for school, etc.  Telling guys that they are now free to be housewives is not very liberating; until a truly new definition of masculinity evolves to replace the outdated one, you’re going to see more male confusion, resentment and disengagement.


C: Do you believe that the future success of men is directly linked to the success of women? Or is the ‘decline of men’ a much larger statement about my generation as a whole?

GG: Men and women are inextricably linked. Their fates and desires are intertwined and always will be. Treating the genders as two separate entities misses the point. Half the population slacking off, losing its way and falling behind is a problem for society as a whole, and the solution will come only from men and women facing the facts and redefining the future together. The interesting question to me is: as women replace men in the upper echelons, will they keep the structures and systems built by males or transform them into something completely new and different?

7 comments:

  1. <3 this post and here's my take away:

    "....as women replace men in the upper echelons, will they keep the structures and systems built by males or transform them into something completely new and different?"

    As always, it starts with us and I like the challenge. :) Bring It On.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chloe :/ I find you so intriguing but this piece... maybe perhaps in the stance taken by Guy, I don't believe in (but obvs I accept your and Guy's opinion).

    Here is just my thought:

    I don't believe that through the empowerment of women the role of man has shifted, albeit greatly if it has. Will it ever?

    As a young woman born in the nineties, I have been brought up in the era of "equality" but even so, never have I ever heard of the role of gender switching to the latter. Men receive paternity leave, the likelihood of them using it to be "paternal" is slim. The only thing changing is women taking on more and men being given the opportunity to do less.

    I still will have to fight for the same rate of pay, respect and acknowledgement in any industry I choose to endeavour in. I will still be criticised for my work and social ethic due to my sex (when in error obv.) as well as be expected to accept sexism- even when my husband sits at home and I'm allowed to leave the kitchen to go and work.

    If the role of men is changing then we are receiving a harsher brunt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some neo-feminist but I believe in my self-worth and in no way has anyone given me the equality I deserve. They have minimised the work of the adverse and told me I am equal.

    That's why (I'm sure you're a beaut and completely adequate etc etc- I'm not insulting you etc etc) it hurts me to read your posts sometimes. You are worth so much more than the Photographer and other men who have great sex with you; and it is my normal reaction from the way you come across that I get the feeling that you are hurting a whole lot and sex is the only way to feel better- but also I may be completely wrong so don't hate my observation, I fucking love men and I'm no fool like Christine O'Donnell...

    Anyway. HOPE YOU ARE OK
    Kisses xxx

    P.S I just care too much, I may be wrong, forgive me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry my comment was long but just went onto his site. The opening quotation is like... exactly my point.

    "...important to future generations of both men and women"

    WTF? Should I go back into the kitchen and reclaim my place too?

    Its just bullshit to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Mac. Where to begin... ;)

    Each moment, each decision in life will inevitably affect the outcome of our lives and the lives of those around us. It is hard for me to understand how you do not agree that the shift in the role of woman did not affect the way men feel, or redefine the role of men.

    Of course you will still have to fight for equal pay and equal treatment on many levels of life; no one here is saying otherwise. My point, and I feel Mr. Garcia's point is this:

    The role of women has shifted; and men have not stepped up to the plate to define what that means for them, rather they seem to either cling to the old standards, or give up in defeat (as if women were out to 'beat' them at something).

    On My writing about sex: Many people who have lots of sex think they need to sleep with men to add value to their self-worth (love the attention). For me, the point of having sex is for the pure unadulterated pleasure of the act. And writing about sex is my, "Fuck You" to all those people in the world who think women are 'less sexual' than men.

    Women as a gender had to conform to a standard set of ideals for hundreds if not thousands of years. Obviously with each generation those standards shift slightly but over all the idea of being a 'lady' was of the up most importance.

    The point I am trying to get across with SO I MET THIS GUY is that until we are all open and honest about who we are and what we desire, we are still just stuck in the past. Women may be able to vote, own property and have a bank account, but if we are still trying to conform to a standard ideal of what society thinks a 'lady' should be, then it's all for nothing.

    I am not going to do something because it is expected of me, I am going to do something because it feels right.

    I think it's funny that you say, "You are worth so much more than The Photographer." You are right! But did you ever stop to think that I get exactly what I want from him? Perhaps you should feel sorry for The Photographer, who is always left wanting more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair answer. I like that your response was in-depth rather than detracting from your earlier point and telling me to fuck off.

    Don't get me wrong, I never said I didn't agree that their would be a response from men in the "shift of roles"; but in all seriousness, have they had any lack because of it? Perhaps in their ego's but not in overall society.

    In terms of men "not stepping up". Truthfully, do you think a man would step up to the roles of the good ol' days of housework and looking after the kids?... OR, in another area, accepting that women aren't meant to live only to fulfil their needs?

    It's not about beating anyone. Its about equality. No one should have to win surely...

    On your writing: If that's how you feel you need to say "fuck off" than that's fine, if that's how you think best to put your message (female conformity) across then... do it, I guess.

    Being stuck in the past is not so when the "past" as such still effects the present. But what I guess I do agree, to an extent, is the point about conforming to the ideals that suppressed us... THAT is a good point.

    And finally... I said "You are worth so much more than The Photographer" because I give a shit- otherwise, I couldn't really give a fuck about "The Photographer" (or how he feels after banging you) as he is accepting you using him as I thought he may be using you...and as you said a earlier, you do something because it feels right and it is therefore your responsibility; therefore again making it aware to me that your actions are your prerogative and yours individually and that I can't change your actions or determine what can come from those actions...

    I don't feel the least bit sorry for people who gain responses they didn't want or expect through assholish decisions, I feel sad for people who do things that hurt them because they themselves are hurt. THAT makes me very sad. I know exactly what its like and I would never want anyone else to feel like I feel or have felt in the past

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, another thing.
    I thought of this (http://www.marekhaiduk.de/) when I saw you liked Michelle Thompson...

    I did a piece on it in the summer and although its really geometric looking, I thought it was kinda interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Women have always held the power... Between their legs.

    ReplyDelete