Monday, November 1, 2010

Tip of The Week: Breathing is Overrated



We go through life unconscious, saying what we are supposed to say, behaving as we are told to behave.

How many times a day does a complete stranger utter the phrase, "Hi, how are you?" It seems simple and innocent enough, but why have we been trained to ask people such an invasive question, when we could really care less about their answer? Is it so difficult for people to just greet each other with a simple, 'Hello'?

I used to grin and bear it, responding with something equally predictable and inconsequential, until a particularly low evening when I chose a more suitable quip. Rather than conform to something socially accepted and expected, I chose to say what was really on my mind, "My day has been complete shit, thanks for asking."

Stunned by my brutal honestly and refute to play the game that was set out for us, the sales clerk turned a lovely shade of pink and began to mumble inaudibly.

Unless you really want to know the answer to a question, do everyone a favor and save your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment